In modern society, accidents and medical emergencies can occur at any time. This makes it even more vital for individuals to be well-prepared in managing such situations. One way to ensure this preparedness is through first aid training.
In Singapore, first aid training is becoming increasingly important, given the country's rising population and rapid urbanization.
This article outlines the significance of first aid training in Singapore and the different types of courses you could apply.
Why First Aid Training is Important?
First aid training is essential for several reasons. In times of crisis, a well-trained individual can potentially save lives, prevent further injury, and mitigate psychological trauma. Furthermore, first aid knowledge can lead to faster response times during emergencies, which may be critical for patient survival.
In a study taken by over 4000 respondents, only around 34% are trained in first aid.
This statistic underscores the need for more Singaporeans to undergo first aid training to improve emergency response rates.
What Types of First Aid Training Courses Are Available?
There is a wide range of first aid training courses available in Singapore, catering to different individuals' needs and professional requirements.
Below are examples of training courses you could take:
Basic First Aid Course
In Basic First Aid, sometimes with CPR + AED, you will learn to perform Basic First Aid, administer Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and use the Automated External Defibrillator (AED) machine on an unconscious casualty before help arrives.
This course is suitable for individuals who don't require an accredited First Aid Provider Certificate, and can also be customized to meet the first aid badge requirements of various co-curricular activities (CCA) groups (such as The Boys’ Brigade, The Girls’ Brigade, National Police Cadet Corps and more).
If you are a Sports Coach or Fitness Instructor, the course you should attend is Standard First Aid.
Standard First Aid Course
Standard First Aid Course, sometimes includes CPR+AED, aims to equip you with the knowledge and skills to apply First Aid to Adult casualty and to use the Automated External Defibrillator (AED) safely. The course is in accordance to the guidelines and methodologies stipulated by the Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council (SRFAC).
Course accreditation recognized by National Registry of Coaches (Sports SG).
The Standard First Aid Course covers critical emergency interventions that occur in a multitude of daily scenarios at work, play or school.
Participants will learn how to perform CPR & AED on adult victims and how to react to various emergency situations while maintaining self-confidence, composure, and assurance to others.
The Standard First Aid + AED Course Certification is a requirement for all Singapore Sports Coaches to attain or renew their coaching license under the Singapore Sports.
Occupational First Aid Course
Occupational First Aid (includes CPR+AED) aims to equip you with knowledge and skills to provide first aid to adult casualties and to use the Automated External Defibrillator (AED) safely and effectively in the workplace. The course is aligned with the guidelines and methods stipulated by the Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council (SRFAC).
The course is a requirement for all Appointed First Aiders to fulfil the Workplace Safety and Health (First Aid) Regulations in their workplace.
Child First Aid Course
Child First Aid (Full) aims to equip you with the knowledge and skills to apply First Aid to a child and/or infant casualty. The course is in accordance to the guidelines and methodologies stipulated by the Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council (SRFAC).
Course accreditation recognized by Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) for preschool teachers who require first aid certification.
Basic Cardiac Life Support Course (BCLS)
Basic Cardiac Life Support AED (BCLS+AED) Course aims to equip participants with CPR skills and relief of foreign body airway obstruction for adult and infant casualties. The course will also teach you on how to use an automated external defibrillator (AED) on an adult collapse casualty.
The course is in accordance to the guidelines and methodologies stipulated by the Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council (SRFAC).
First Aid Courses Providers in Singapore
Singapore First Aid Training Centre
For nearly 2 decades, Singapore First Aid Training Centre has remained one of the fastest developing first aid schools in Singapore, training and certifying over 360,000 participants from all walks of life in the practical skills of first aid, CPR, AED and life support.
Backed by a dynamic team of professional trainers, Singapore First Aid Training Centre creates a highly conducive learning environment that enables everyday people to develop the ability to perform "Real First Aid for the Real World™"
Singapore First Aid Training Centre's courses and programs are conducted using its signature high involvement and interaction training methodology that has completely blown away traditional training methods used in common first aid courses.
Powered by online learning facilitation, modern day training tools and the latest teaching capabilities, Singapore First Aid Training Centre delivers a learning experience that will leave a positive impact and lasting impression to learners.
- ISO 29993 Certification
- Singapore Book of Records: The first ever first aid training centre in Singapore to be entered into Singapore Book of Records for the "Most number of people performing CPR at the same time" with almost 1000 people joining us to set this brand new record in Singapore.
- Singapore Resuscitation And First Aid Council (SRFAC): Accredited as a training centre for a wide array of SRFAC provider and instructor courses. We were the first independent training centre in Singapore to gain accreditation to conduct BCLS, LSCN and ACLS course.
- Singapore Manpower Industry Compliance Standard: Accredited training provider for the Occupational First Aid and Occupational First Aid Refresher courses since 2005 by Ministry of Manpower.
- Social & Family Development Compliance: Recognized by Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA) and Ministry of Family and Social Development (MFS) as an approved training provider of the Child First Aid Course for childcare & preschool educators, infant care teachers and personnel in the social & family development. We have been certifying child care and preschool teachers since 2004, during the days of MCDS.
- Coaches & Trainers: Recognised as an approved training provider by the National Registry of Coaches (NROC) in Singapore for registered coaches, gym trainers, aerobic and yoga instructors and all sports and fitness related personnels in Singapore. We began serving this industry since 2004 with Singapore Sports Council fitness instructor course and aerobics instructor course participants who required CPR certification.
- American Heart Association: The American Heart Association holds the international standard for resuscitation at every level. We are the first AHA authorized International Training centre established in Singapore since 2007.
- International Trauma Life Support: International Trauma Life Support (ITLS) is a global organization dedicated to preventing death and disability from trauma through education and emergency trauma care. We are the first and only ITLS training centre in Singapore and Malaysia since 2012.
Singapore Emergency Responder Academy
The Singapore Emergency Responder Academy (SERA) is birthed out of our passionate devotion to contribute to the well-being of society. We are an accredited First Aid, BCLS+AED, CPR+AED and Instructor Training Centre by the Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council.
In addition, we also provide Psychosocial Support Training like Psychological First Aid and First Aid in Mental Health. These courses are highly recognized by government agencies and private organisations in Singapore.
- Courses provided are accredited Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council (SRFAC)
- The Occupational First Aid courses are recognized by Ministry of Manpower
- The Standard First Aid course is recognized by National Registry of Coaches (NROC)
- The Child First Aid course is recognized by Early Childhood Development Agency (ECDA)
- The Psychological First Aid, First Aid in Mental Health, Peer Suporter Program courses are conducted in collaboration with Singapore Counselling Centre, accredited by ACC Institute of Human Services.
Singapore Heart Foundation
The Singapore Heart Foundation (SHF) is a social service agency at the forefront of the battle against heart disease since 1970. Driven by an unwavering vision of a healthier Singapore population, SHF is dedicated to promoting better heart health for every individual living in Singapore, through evidence-based information and practices that keep every heart beating healthily.
Through strategic lifesaving initiatives underlined by the three core pillars of Prevention, Rehabilitation, and Resuscitation, SHF upholds its enduring mission to champion heart health and to alleviate the impact of cardiovascular disease and stroke. It aims to prevent not only physical suffering but also the premature loss of precious lives. SHF also extends a helping hand to those in need by offering financial assistance to heart patients in moments of crisis, and ensuring that they receive timely support and medical care they require.
- Courses provided are accredited Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council (SRFAC)
Things to Take Note for before Registering a Course
Before you register for a course, below are the things you need to take note for.
Once you completed a first aid course, you'll receive a certificate with 2 years validity from the date of completion. The certificate is accredited by the Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council (SRFAC).
Some training providers like Singapore First Aid Training Centre and Singapore Emergency Responder Academy provide funding mechanisms for individuals or organizations using Skillsfuture Singapore (SSG) Funding or Skillsfuture Credits.
Make sure you contact to find out more.
Certain courses such as Occupation First Aid courses are usually conducted onsite in a classroom.
Others courses such as Standard First Aid course are usually offered in "blended" mode where you could complete the theory modules online followed by 1-day face-to-face practical session.
Refresher course is available to those who already have a valid certificate. You could attend a refresher course 3 months before or after the expiry of your certificate to renew your certificate.
Do note that if your certification has lapsed more than 3 months from expiry, you will need to restart the certification process.
While tailored first aid training courses cater to the varied needs of individuals, from standard to occupation-specific, the focus remains consistent - to equip a greater portion of our communities with these life-saving skills.
First aid training is undeniably vital in our modern, fast-paced world. With the capacity to save lives and mitigate further harm during emergencies, acquiring these skills constitutes an essential part of personal growth and social responsibility.
By collectively embracing first aid training, we are not only investing in our personal development but also contributing to Singapore's broader societal resilience and preparedness.